Thursday, July 3, 2008

Reverse Culture Shock Will Get You.

So if you have ever experienced a study abroad program, most likely it would have made you aware of something called the "W Effect"... well this would entail the main different stages one would experience going abroad into a different culture, etc. If my memory serves me correctly, this would include: the "honey moon stage," becoming accustomed, acceptance, rejection, anxiety (about leaving and re-entering back into your home environment), re-acclamation (into your home environment)...

Well right now with the 4th of July coming tomorrow... I am noticing that my mind keeps asking "What does it really mean to be an 'American'? [cough... umm, 'North' American... 'North' should be inserted before 'American']
It's just that the themes and learning that were consciously and subconsciously reiterated into our minds in Cuernavaca, Mexico, on my recent study abroad trip really make it difficult for me to be so accepting and prideful in the US' patriarchal past AND present.

It is not a phase I am going through; it is a new awareness.

No comments: