Saturday, July 26, 2008

Making it known.

Today at a family gathering my uncle and I were discussing human rights issues... He asked me how one could make known, could make change come about, from a human rights violation he had witnessed while staying in Malaysia for three weeks...

After explaining to me how, daily, he saw a family [a neighbor in Malaysia] essentially enslaving "their" house-keeper, my uncle wanted to know what he could do to stop this. He felt helpless in many ways and quite disconnected from those who may just have the power to end this sort of human entrapment and discrimination. Realizing that he is not an expert on human rights violations, my uncle stuck with his gut intuition and conscience...basically his common sense, too... and he bluntly knew that this sort of treatment against another human being was blatantly wrong.

So after hearing the details I told my uncle that it is people like us who need to place the pressure on the officials, for example, to start bringing attention upon such issues and increasing the proactivity to work against such wrongdoings. If we make our voices heard [whether it is by contacting the media, writing letters to government officials, getting in touch with different activism organizations that would provide further support, etc]--- it is such things that promote grassroots initiatives that make a difference!! ---It is up to US, the people. WE'VE GOT TO MAKE THE CHANGE [before we wait for anyone else to do it for us; we've got to be able to count on ourselves]!!!

No comments: