Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Feliz Holidays

Very happy holidays to everyone...
I wanted to thank you all for reading the emails that I had sent throughout my time in Central America. It's really beautiful to be able to share such experiences with you all and hear your feedback. So once again, thank you for adding to such learning and journeys.

It has been a bit over two weeks, now, since I have been in Spain - visiting family and friends once again... Almost two years have past since I lived here for a semester studying; that is pretty surreal to realize.
Of course, it has been wonderful thus far seeing good friends and re-visiting some of my favorite places... some of my favorite spots in Andújar like the clock tower near the library, the plaza area of San Miguel... even just walking down the narrow streets noticing the different architecture and noises tuned to a Spanish note. I've got to say though that two of my most humorous loves here are that which I have now indulged plenty in-- jamón and olive oil. These tastes have always stuck with me since my "Spanish beginnings";)
For a quick re-cap: My first days were spent in Madrid with a good friend... I loved it!!! It was my first time being in the capital. We explored some of Madrid's most famous areas and visited many pubs in order to take advantage of the tapas lifestyle. I learned how to navigate my way sola through the Metro and I also got to see my former Spanish host mother.
On the way to Andújar, Jaén, I also had one thing happen to me for the first time-- I was robbed!! No worries, the culprits were sneaky enough to the point where I didn't even notice (I was carrying all my backpacking luggage from Central America - running on little sleep and a bit of sadness from leaving Madrid)... Right as I was about to board the bus, I realized that my left jacket packet was broached open (as it was not 15 minutes before then!) and my billfoald was gone... luckily the most important thing in my billfoald was my passport. No worries, my passport has since then been handed into the US embassy in Madrid (as it was found thrown on the street). It will be sent to the home where I'm at in Andújar.
This Friday I'll be heading to Sevilla in order to see a friend from Mexico and check out a social/political activism org.
Then later I will go back to soak up and explore more of Madrid.

I send you all my love and desires that you are passing the time relaxingly with those you care about most.

PS-- check this out-- I received it from a friend this morning:
"Also I would suggest keeping up on the news from Gaza. It's obviously nowhere near identical to the situations we learned about in Central America, but it bears one crucial resemblance: a conservative U.S. president backing an oppressive regime.
http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2008/12/2008122994140674153.html

No comments: