Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Goodbye for now, Central America... Hello Europe

I arrived at the Barajas airport in Madrid, Spain, this past Sunday at 9 am. Of course the days prior to that had been filled with running around, trying to say goodbye to everyone and finishing up last-minute tasks. Our last night together as a group in Nicaragua was fun after we finally finished packing (or at least some of us) and went to a favorite spot - "Q" - where we danced until the morning hours. After returning to the house I realized it would only be less than two hours until I would have to wake up again, so why not just sleep for twenty minutes!
To say the least, I slept very little on the plane rides which finally brought me to Spain... And then upon staying with my friend in Madrid and being excited and a bit overwhelmed emotionally and mentally, I have ended up going to bed quite late these past nights. It has been worth it, though. But what a choque, also. Of course, Spain is incredibly and blatantly distinct from Nicaragua. Managua, Nicaragua's capital where I lived for the past month or so, is so unlike Madrid, Spain's capital. Now this may sound obvious. But I point this out because what a drastic change in environment I experienced that occurred in just less than one day. It makes one realize, and more so face, the realities of inequity/ies that exist cross-culturally but yet are so closely integrated.
While maneuvering through the metro the other day by myself, I waited on a bench for around 40 minutes in a busy stop and basically just sat and watched people. I could not stop wondering about each person's life and their story... if they were and/or are active in civil society and if they are informed about what is going on in regions such as Central America... These questions could be addressed anywhere in the world; and of course there are many more areas that must be taken into account that expand far beyond Central Am...

No comments: