Sunday, September 28, 2008

goodbye dear Guate

Guatemala now holds memories in my heart and nostalgia when I think of the people whom I encountered and lived with there...
Yesterday the group and I left Xela, which had been our home for three weeks, and went to spend one day and one night in Antigua. Antigua is a preserved colonial town that is, of course, filled with plenty of tourists and "westernized" trends.
I say this not with the intention of putting a shade of negativity around the image of Antigua, but rather just to recognize its reality.
It was quaint to spend our last day relaxing in the town. Right upon arrival the group and I went to a restaurant where we ate homemade pizza (talk about authentic Guatemalan food;) and then went off to explore. Arpita, a friend and I, later split off from the others to walk around more of the market area. She and I should have thought back to one of our past experiences (of getting lost together) when saying "Oh yes, this is the right direction..." So we did get lost; but then a bit after successfully wandered back to the hotel. Getting lost wasn't such a bummer though because after all, we did get to see more of the city. A bit sadly I must say, my afternoon and night in Antigua were filled with utter sickness. I should have known better than to keep drinking those yogurt fruit drinks with the pizza! They just were not sitting right. So the chills came and soon after started the vomiting... The group was great though! I definitely am not the only one who has gone through the sickness here...

No comments: