Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Hospital system in San Salvador

Last night I experienced what a typical Salvadoran emergency room is like.
To give you a hint, as I type right now I use only a few fingers because the others are wrapped in gauze...
So I have second degree burns for the first time---- and in El Salvador!!!

;)) Aaah how crazy; everything is an experience here.
The second degree burns came about during my weekend in San Jose de Las Flores, a rural pueblo in the state of Chalatenango. Three others and I spent last weekend there, integrating ourselves into the community - a community which is categorized as an Ecclesial Base Community. We heard testimonies from survivors of the Rio Sumpul Massacre and from survivors of various other massacres that occurred during the time of El Salvador's armed conflict that lasted for 12 years.
The group and I also witnessed how extremely organized the community is. They have nearly 10 women's organizations that raise solidarity and productivity levels. There is also a large farming cooperative and an eco-tourism center. All of the money earned in each area circulates back throughout the community. The State does not support San Jose de Las Flores and its initiatives; the people are community-sustaining and focused on justice for los campesinos and solidarity.
The first day I also met and hugged the candidate for VP for the FMLN party. It was monumental! FMLN is the revolutionary party, many would say, which is leftist. Elections are coming up in Jan 2009.

But burns or not, I do not regret going on the off-road hike that made me get these burns! It was beautiful--absolutely serene. We reached the clouds and could see the whole town...
Who would have known-- plantas de fuego

:)

No comments: