Saturday, October 25, 2008

GLBTQIA right in Cuba

I just read an article that brought to my attention some positive movements that have been happening in Cuba that work to further the rights for the GLBTQIA community.
Maybe this is old news, but I just thought I´d share it because the surprise of what I read made me very happy...
One of Fidel Castro´s daughters has been a big pusher for the acceptance of the GLBTQIA community in Cuba, and therefore has helped some laws pass in support of GLBTQIA people /couples. This lucha for justice is setting a progressive tone over Cuba and its residents... More continue to partake in this process for human rights; it´s impresionante.
The BBC News has some neat articles on the above; I recommend checking them out!

1 comment:

Walter Lippmann said...

Actually, it's Fidel's niece, who is Raul's daughter: Mariela Castro Espin who has spoken out and been leading the charge for LGBT rights in Cuba for several years now.

Hundreds of articles and translation from Spanish about LGBT life in Cuba:

http://www.walterlippmann.com/lgbt-cuba.html